The Sywell Aviation Museum acquired the cockpit section of Chipmunk WG419 on permanent loan from 1053 (Armthorpe) ATC, following a tip-off from David Burke. She is in superb condition, being very complete inside complete with sticks, pedals, panels, instruments etc. 419's history is being investigated at present but we know that she was delivered from the manufacturers on 9th October 1951 and spent time with 4 BFTS and 6 RFTS at Sywell as well as serving with 15 RFS, Birmingham and Aberdeen UAS, the CFS and various RAFG station flights. She was struck off charge in August 1972 becoming ground instructional airframe 8206M, and converted to a Chipmunk PAX or 'Chippax' - a ground training aid for those taking flights in Chipmunks.
With thanks to David Burke and all at 1053 ATC for their kind help and assistance. The PAX was refurbished and installed in the new Paul Morgan Display Hall in 2008 as a 'hands on' exhibit. She is a great acquisition as she was based here in the 1950s and has been brought 'home'!